Re: Please Help - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Art Nicewick
Subject Re: Please Help
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
I found that messy myself, and it took awhile.

I hacked at it a bit, and maybe ended up downloading more than I needed
to.. However I think the key parts to get are:

gcc
bzip2
- All defaults

- I picked up Postgresql from postgresql.org.. to get the 7.2 version
- I picked up GYCIPC from www.neuro.gotech.edu/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/cygipc

- Actually picked up Bzip2 from sources.redhat.com/bzip2. However they're
download instructions are ambiguous (They have a category called "Windows",
but say "Don't use this if you have cygwin" ... So what do we use !!!). I
ended up downloaded the windows version of bzip2, decompressing in windows,
and then untaring in cygwin.

Arthur Nicewick
American Management Systems
Corporate Technology Group
art_nicewick@ams.com
(703) 267-8569

Quote of the week:
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the
parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you
can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not
use a hammer.
--IBM maintenance manual, 1925

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          "jonathan wright"      |
|        |          <jonathanw@alloymail.co|
|        |          m>                     |
|        |          Sent by:               |
|        |          pgsql-cygwin-owner@post|
|        |          gresql.org             |
|        |                                 |
|        |                                 |
|        |          02/19/02 06:09 AM      |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:     pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org                                                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:     [CYGWIN] Please Help                                                                   |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello

I am trying to install Cygwin, inorder to get PostgreSQL running on a
Windows 2000 machine. I downloaded a Cygwin version (2.125.2.10) from
www.cygwin.com . I am not sure on how to install the packages during the
cygwin download. I found out that if we need to recompile the PostgreSQL
source, the development package must be checked. So also the gcc complier
which needs to be compile the source.
When I run setup.exe, I see 4 options in the 'Select packages to download'
window:
1) Source
2) Keep
3) Skip
4) Retreive (do I have to cross the checkbox here?)    OR    'the version
number of the package' (do I have to cross the check box here?)

Can you tell me which option do I select to make sure that the particular
package (eg: gcc/postgresql) gets installed?

Does this installation by Cygwin allow me to specify what goes where.
Perhaps, you could tell me where the files will be if the Cygwin version is
installed.

I have also been reading up material that talks about creating bash shell
scripts to start PostgreSQL automatically in Windows. Do we need to give
any extensions to this script (coz it gets a .txt extension by default when
I write it in NotePad). Or does the system recognise that this is a bash
shell script?

I'll be extrememly grateful if you could provide me with some detailed
iformation and pointers to other informative articles on the web etc.
Thanks very much.

JonW

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup