Please Help - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From jonathan wright
Subject Please Help
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Hello

I am trying to install Cygwin, inorder to get PostgreSQL running on a Windows 2000 machine. I downloaded a Cygwin
version(2.125.2.10) from www.cygwin.com . I am not sure on how to install the packages during the cygwin download. I
foundout that if we need to recompile the PostgreSQL source, the development package must be checked. So also the gcc
complierwhich needs to be compile the source.
When I run setup.exe, I see 4 options in the 'Select packages to download' window:
1) Source
2) Keep
3) Skip
4) Retreive (do I have to cross the checkbox here?)    OR    'the version number of the package' (do I have to cross
thecheck box here?)

Can you tell me which option do I select to make sure that the particular package (eg: gcc/postgresql) gets installed?

Does this installation by Cygwin allow me to specify what goes where. Perhaps, you could tell me where the files will
beif the Cygwin version is installed.

I have also been reading up material that talks about creating bash shell scripts to start PostgreSQL automatically in
Windows.Do we need to give any extensions to this script (coz it gets a .txt extension by default when I write it in
NotePad).Or does the system recognise that this is a bash shell script?

I'll be extrememly grateful if you could provide me with some detailed iformation and pointers to other informative
articleson the web etc.
Thanks very much.

JonW

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup