Re: Please Help - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: Please Help
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Jonathan,

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 06:09:26AM -0500, jonathan wright wrote:
> I am trying to install Cygwin, inorder to get PostgreSQL running on
> a Windows 2000 machine. I downloaded a Cygwin version (2.125.2.10) from
> www.cygwin.com.
> [snip]

Use "Install from Internet" instead of "Download from Internet".

> Can you tell me which option do I select to make sure that the
> particular package (eg: gcc/postgresql) gets installed?

Assuming that you don't have a disk space limitation, please install all
packages.  Unfortunately, with the latest, released setup.exe, you must
click on every spin icon until the latest release number is displayed.
A new setup.exe will be released shortly that will allow one to easily
install all packages (again).

Note that a pre-built PostgreSQL is part of the standard Cygwin
distribution.

> Does this installation by Cygwin allow me to specify what goes where.

Yes.

> Perhaps, you could tell me where the files will be if the Cygwin
> version is installed.

It's up to you -- most people choose "C:\Cygwin".

> I have also been reading up material that talks about creating bash
> shell scripts to start PostgreSQL automatically in Windows. Do we need
> to give any extensions to this script (coz it gets a .txt extension by
> default when I write it in NotePad). Or does the system recognise that
> this is a bash shell script?

Please read the README:

    /usr/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.2.README

or: