RE: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject RE: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))
Date
Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers

I've noticed the fact since before but haven't complained.
As far as I see,pg_index won't so big. In fact Matthias's case has
only 1 page after running vacuum for pg_index.  In such cases
sequential scan is faster than index scan as you know.
I don't agree with you to increase system indexes easily.
Though I implemented REINDEX command to recover system
indexes it doesn't mean index corruption is welcome.

I know another case. pg_attrdef has no index on (adrelid,attnum)
though it has an index on (adrelid).

> More generally, someone should examine the other places where
> heap_getnext() loops occur, and see if any of them look like performance
> bottlenecks...

Please don't lose sequential scan stuff even when changes to
index scan is needed because -P option of standalone postgres
needs sequential scan for system tables.

Regards.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp