Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))
Date
Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))  ("Michael A. Olson" <mao@sleepycat.com>)
RE: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))  ("Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> The advantage is that you can then index a bunch more of the system
>> catalog tables, and on a bunch more attributes.  That produced some
>> surprising speedups.

> We have indexes on all system tables that need it.

There isn't any fundamental reason why the planner can't be using an
index to scan pg_index; we just need to code it that way.  Right now
it's coded as a sequential scan.

Unfortunately there is no index on pg_index's indrelid column in 7.0,
so this is not fixable without an initdb.  TODO item for 7.1, I guess.

More generally, someone should examine the other places where
heap_getnext() loops occur, and see if any of them look like performance
bottlenecks...