Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael A. Olson
Subject Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 12:39 PM 5/19/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > We have indexes on all system tables that need it.
>
> There isn't any fundamental reason why the planner can't be using an
> index to scan pg_index; we just need to code it that way.  Right now
> it's coded as a sequential scan.

Eliminating the hard-coded seqscans of catalogs in the bowels of the
system was the hardest part of the project.  As I said, it was good
to do.  It made parsing and planning queries much, much faster.
                mike