Re: OO Patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: OO Patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 20, 2000 at 09:42:45AM +1000, Chris wrote:
> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> >         We have a list archive ... just to try and help out here, you
> > might want to try posting URLs to show quotes ... to back things up ...
>
> I don't have much success with the archive. (Search for "Proposed
> Changes" - the name of the thread. It yields zero results).  The links
> to the result urls are coloured the same whether you have visited them
> or not (not a bright idea), and in general I'm skeptical the searching
> works properly. I certainly can't lay my hands on quite a few important
> postings.

http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/2000-02/msg00050.html

Seems to be the start of it. The web server had an unfortunate hard drive
crash, from what I understand, and they've been rebuilding the indices
for the search engine. (I found this by greping my local 'all postgresql
list I subscribe to' archive, to find the date, then going to that page
on postgresql.org. One problem is that the 'by month' links in the mailing
list archives only give you _part_ of the month: you have to hit the

> We're post v7.0 now, so presumably we are in pre-7.1 land right? Surely
> any minor patches now can be done in a branch? I can understand
> reluctance to branch with heavy development in progress pre-7.0 but once
> you've released it's time to move on.

Nope - the standard release process for postgresql is tag at release date,
branch after the inital flurry of bug reports/patches settles down. This
avoids a lot of double patching for the bugs that the beta testers don't
find, but the general user community does.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer