RE: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte") - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karen Ellrick
Subject RE: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte")
Date
List pgsql-general
I gave up on 7.1.1 for now, although that is not ideal.  I looked around the
web some more, and saw a recommendation to someone who was using RPMs for
postgresql and had the same problem, saying to install the postgresql-devel
RPM as well.  I don't know how to do that with compiled source, but I then
realized that my successful installs have always been after a full set of
7.0.2 RPMs were already installed.  I tried a 7.1.1 RPM I found on
rpmfind.net, but it complained that it needed about 30 files I did not have.
So I just loaded the same old 7.0.2 RPMs I used before, and it all seems to
work (haven't made the database yet or tried to connect to the web serv.
Why I can't do it with compiled source, why my other machine complained of
disabled multibyte, and whether I will run into any of the bugs fixed in
7.1.1 will remain mysteries.

Now I have one more brand new thing I am seeing.  When I run psql or
createdb, I get a bunch of extra stuff on the screen at startup, \q time,
and any non-help command (including everything little thing it does to
process my request - a \d on an empty db gives me two full screenfuls of sql
and other stuff before saying "no relations").  It's like I have some
super-verbose switch turned on somewhere.  On startup, the first one is:
   010523.20:30:28.625 [14996] read_pg_options: verbose=2,query=2,syslog=0
...which I thought was a clue (the verbose level), but looking at my other
working installation, the pg_options file has the exact same parameters,
including verbose=2, and it doesn't spew all that stuff at me.  Any clues?

Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838