RE: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte") - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject RE: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte")
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 23 May 2001, Karen Ellrick wrote:

> I gave up on 7.1.1 for now, although that is not ideal.  I looked around the
> web some more, and saw a recommendation to someone who was using RPMs for
> postgresql and had the same problem, saying to install the postgresql-devel
> RPM as well.  I don't know how to do that with compiled source, but I then
> realized that my successful installs have always been after a full set of
> 7.0.2 RPMs were already installed.  I tried a 7.1.1 RPM I found on
> rpmfind.net, but it complained that it needed about 30 files I did not have.
> So I just loaded the same old 7.0.2 RPMs I used before, and it all seems to
> work (haven't made the database yet or tried to connect to the web serv.
> Why I can't do it with compiled source, why my other machine complained of
> disabled multibyte, and whether I will run into any of the bugs fixed in
> 7.1.1 will remain mysteries.

7.1.2 will/should be out soon.  Rather than searching out rpms that
may or may not work, why don't you try building from the source?  The
instructions for doing it are very simple and you could probably do it
in your sleep.  At least that way you'll know what you have and if you
still have problems you'll be starting from a known good starting point.

Vince.