RE: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte") - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karen Ellrick
Subject RE: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte")
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi everyone!

Thanks to various people for advice, including many answers from Vince
"off-line" while I was at home (whose address isn't a member of this mailing
list).  I cleaned up my directories as best I could, downloaded the newest
versions of everything, and took various pieces of advice about
configuration options, and finally it all worked.  For the record, in case
someone else has trouble with this apparently touchy combination of
programs, this is the sequence I used (for my needs - others may need
different options):

   cd postgresql-7.1.1

./configure --enable-multibyte=EUC_JP --with-perl --enable-odbc --enable-sys
log
   make
   make install
   cd ../apache_1.3.20
   ./configure --server-uid=httpd --server-gid=httpd
   make
   cd ../php-4.0.5
   ./configure --without-mysql --with-pgsql --with-apache=../apache_1.3.20
   make
   make install
   cd ../apache_1.3.20

./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a --server-uid=httpd
--server-gid=httpd
   make
   make install

I'm not sure if the make after the first configure of Apache is needed or
not, but Vince said "build" and "rebuild", so I took that to mean both
configure and make.  I did have to add /usr/local/pgsql/bin to $PATH - many
instructions I have seen seem to think it will already be there, but not on
my system.  Some important clues I learned are:
   * It's best to let PostgreSQL install into the default /usr/local/pgsql,
and then PHP can find everything with no pgsql directory specified.
   * Even if it has only been a couple months since the last time you did an
install, if you use a new version of one of the programs, get the newest of
all of them.

Hopes this will save a newbie some time and stress someday.

Karen

Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838