Re: Core reported from vaccum function. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD)
Subject Re: Core reported from vaccum function.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello Tom and Alvaro,

Yes.Sorry for the mistake done because of the wrong interpretation.Now
we have the message.We will go ahead with the upgrade.

Thanks a lot,
Prasanna.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:51 AM
To: Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD)
Cc: Alvaro Herrera; pgsql-general@postgresql.org; Rao, Srikanth R
(STSD); Racharla, Chakravarthy (STSD); Manchenahalli, Raghunandan
(STSD); Hebbar, Raghavendra (STSD)
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Core reported from vaccum function.

"Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD)" <prasanna.b-m@hp.com> writes:
> Thanks Alvaro for your time and suggestions.Yes we do understand that
> we are expected to use the higher versions.But as Bruce pointed out
> already,the same is NOT recommended when there is NO imperative
> reason.

Say again?  Bruce's point was the opposite: not upgrading is generally
more risky than upgrading.  It's certainly true that we have sometimes
introduced new bugs into minor version updates, but the odds of being
bitten by one of those are considerably lower than the odds of being
bitten by one of the ones we did fix.  This is particularly true when
you are talking about a release as ancient as 7.4.2 is.  Read the
release notes sometime:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release.html
and ask yourself if you really want to continue risking exposure to all
the known, fixed bugs in the 7.4 series.

            regards, tom lane