Re: Core reported from vaccum function. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Core reported from vaccum function.
Date
Timezone - UTC  ("Manchenahalli, Raghunandan (STSD)" <raghunandan.manchenahalli@hp.com>)
List pgsql-general
"Mavinakuli, Prasanna (STSD)" <prasanna.b-m@hp.com> writes:
> Thanks Alvaro for your time and suggestions.Yes we do understand that we
> are expected to use the higher versions.But as Bruce pointed out
> already,the same is NOT recommended when there is NO imperative
> reason.

Say again?  Bruce's point was the opposite: not upgrading is generally
more risky than upgrading.  It's certainly true that we have sometimes
introduced new bugs into minor version updates, but the odds of being
bitten by one of those are considerably lower than the odds of being
bitten by one of the ones we did fix.  This is particularly true when
you are talking about a release as ancient as 7.4.2 is.  Read the
release notes sometime:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/release.html
and ask yourself if you really want to continue risking exposure to all
the known, fixed bugs in the 7.4 series.

            regards, tom lane