Re: psqsl -> remote db - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Youngblood
Subject Re: psqsl -> remote db
Date
List pgsql-general
What machine is remote? Linux? Solaris? or Mac?  I couldn't tell if
the remote system or your workstation was a Mac.

I will assume the postgresql server is on a Mac, and that the Mac has
its firewall enabled. On my Mac, to open a firewall for something
like this, go to System Preferences, and then click Sharing. There
you should see a Firewall button - click to display the firewall
settings. Scroll through the Allow list and make sure there is not
already an entry for PostgreSQL. If there is, make sure it is
checked. If not, click the New... button. Enter a port name
("PostgreSQL"), and enter "5432" in the TCP Ports field. [I do not
believe postgresql uses UDP.] Click OK. Then make sure the PostgreSQL
port was added to the Allow list and is checked. Close System
Preferences, and answer Yes to save, if prompted. That should be it,
the mac should now allow incoming traffic on PostgreSQL's port.

If the remote computer is not a Mac, the instructions above will not
work.

Are you sure the remote postgresql server has been configured to
listen on port 5432 ? By default, postgresql often will not listen to
TCP connections unless explicitly instructed to do so. Depending on
how postgresql is installed, it could be that it just isn't listening
for a network connection, only allowing local connections.