Re: psqsl -> remote db - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jcradock@me3.com
Subject Re: psqsl -> remote db
Date
List pgsql-general
First, makes sure the PostgreSQL database is listening for TCP/IP
connections on the computer you're trying to connect to. On Mac OS X, run
this command in the a terminal, i.e. Terminal.app:

netstat -l

You should see a line like this somewhere in the output:

tcp6 0 0 *.5432 *.* LISTEN

Second, the database server's pg_hba.conf likely needs to be configured to
accept connections from remote users. This can be done to restrict
connections from specific hosts (IP addresses), which isn't terribly
practical, or by user and encrypted password. Search the PostgreSQL
document site for "pg_hba.conf" for info.

Third, if the database server is listening, and it is configured to allow
you to connect, try connecting with psql:

psql -h myhost.com -U me mydb

"myhost.com" can be an IP address. Type "man psql" to see what the options
mean.

I hope this helps.

Jim

-----