Update row attribute that is part of row level security policyusing_expression - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Saupe Stefan
Subject Update row attribute that is part of row level security policyusing_expression
Date
List pgsql-general

I'd like to use RLS to 'hide' or 'deactivate' data at some point that some rows are not visible to the application user anymore.

Let's say user a owns the data and can see all his data.

The application user 'b' can only select,update,delete... 'active' data, but is also able to 'deactivate' currently 'active' rows.

Below is how I tried to accomplish this.

But I'm not able to 'deactivate' rows in the table as application user b.

How can i accomplish this? If possible without having to change the application sql’s that run against the table(s)?

create user a with password 'a';

create user b with password 'b';

\c postgres a;

create table t1(id int,active boolean);

insert into t1 values(1,true);

insert into t1 values(2,false);

create policy mypolicy on t1 for all to b using (active);

alter table t1 enable row level security;

grant all on t1 to b;

select * from t1;

id | active

----+--------

  1 | t

  2 | f

(2 rows)

--> OK

--Now connect as the application user b

\c postgres b;

select * from t1;

id | active

----+--------

  1 | t

(1 row)

--> OK

--now I want to 'deactivate' the active row

update t1 set active=false where id=1;

ERROR:  new row violates row-level security policy for table "t1"

--> I want to be able to do this.

My question is:

How can user b read just ‘active’ data AND be able to ‘deactivate’ some active rows?

According to the docs (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createpolicy.html) the reason why the update fails is:

The policy USING expression is applied to Existing & new rows on UPDATES if read access is required to the existing or new row