Migrating database(s) from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6 onLinux - Mailing list pgsql-general

Hello,

We're investigating the migration of our LMS (Library Managment System)
from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6. The used database in field have
around 400 columns, some of them are also containing BLOB (bytea) data.
The DB size vary upto 20 GByte. The interfaces contain any kind of
language one could imagine :-) ESQL/C, JDBC, Perl DBD, ...

Re/ the migration of the data itself, are there any use case studies
which could we keep in mind? We plan to export the tables with our own
tool which produces CSV with delimiter '|' (and \| if the char | is in
char columns too) and with hex representation of the BLOB data. This seems
to fit nicely with PostgreSQL's COPY command.

Any known pitfalls?

Btw: We're investigating MySQL too, but this seems to be from the list
now for not having an ESQL/C interface.

Regards

    matthias
--