Migrating database(s) from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6 onLinux

From
Matthias Apitz
Date:
Hello,

We're investigating the migration of our LMS (Library Managment System)
from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6. The used database in field have
around 400 columns, some of them are also containing BLOB (bytea) data.
The DB size vary upto 20 GByte. The interfaces contain any kind of
language one could imagine :-) ESQL/C, JDBC, Perl DBD, ...

Re/ the migration of the data itself, are there any use case studies
which could we keep in mind? We plan to export the tables with our own
tool which produces CSV with delimiter '|' (and \| if the char | is in
char columns too) and with hex representation of the BLOB data. This seems
to fit nicely with PostgreSQL's COPY command.

Any known pitfalls?

Btw: We're investigating MySQL too, but this seems to be from the list
now for not having an ESQL/C interface.

Regards

    matthias
--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045

On 5/3/19 6:56 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're investigating the migration of our LMS (Library Managment System)
> from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6. The used database in field have
> around 400 columns, some of them are also containing BLOB (bytea) data.
> The DB size vary upto 20 GByte. The interfaces contain any kind of
> language one could imagine :-) ESQL/C, JDBC, Perl DBD, ...
>
> Re/ the migration of the data itself, are there any use case studies
> which could we keep in mind? We plan to export the tables with our own
> tool which produces CSV with delimiter '|' (and \| if the char | is in
> char columns too) and with hex representation of the BLOB data. This seems
> to fit nicely with PostgreSQL's COPY command.
>
> Any known pitfalls?

Do you have many stored procedures, functions, etc?

Re: Migrating database(s) from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6 onLinux

From
Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Date:
## Matthias Apitz (guru@unixarea.de):

> Re/ the migration of the data itself, are there any use case studies
> which could we keep in mind?

https://wiki.postgresql.org/images/e/e7/Pgconfeu_2013_-_Jens_Wilke_-_Sybase_to_PostgreSQL.pdf

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space

Date:
El día Friday, May 03, 2019 a las 07:38:23AM -0500, Ron escribió:

> On 5/3/19 6:56 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >We're investigating the migration of our LMS (Library Managment System)
> >from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6. The used database in field have
> >around 400 columns, some of them are also containing BLOB (bytea) data.
> >The DB size vary upto 20 GByte. The interfaces contain any kind of
> >language one could imagine :-) ESQL/C, JDBC, Perl DBD, ...
> >
> >Re/ the migration of the data itself, are there any use case studies
> >which could we keep in mind? We plan to export the tables with our own
> >tool which produces CSV with delimiter '|' (and \| if the char | is in
> >char columns too) and with hex representation of the BLOB data. This seems
> >to fit nicely with PostgreSQL's COPY command.
> >
> >Any known pitfalls?
>
> Do you have many stored procedures, functions, etc?

We have in Sybase triggers on some tables calculating the next value for
an integer "serial" based on helper tables because Sybase does not know
(or did not know in 11.9) about serials. But, these will be replaced by native
"serial" on PG.

Sybase also has a so called SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN in each table with a
unique number for each row (may have gaps) and as Sybase does not know
SCROLLED CURSOR we simulated these in our DB layer reading-in all
SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN numbers of a hit list after SELECT and can read
backwards in this in memory list presenting the requested row with a new
SELECT based on the SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN number.  This is somewhat
clumsy but certain features in upper layers want to read backwards (and
we came from INFORMIX-SE, later INFORMIX-ONL some 30 years ago).

I was deeply impressed by the COPY command, loading ~35000 rows in the
time one needs to close and open the eyes. As well a SELECT returns in
a table with ~35000 without any INDEX in very short time. How PG does this?

    matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
70 years of NATO - 70 years of wars (Jugoslavia, Afghanistan, Syria, ...) and 70 years

Re: Migrating database(s) from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6 onLinux

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 5/3/19 6:09 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Friday, May 03, 2019 a las 07:38:23AM -0500, Ron escribió:
>
>> On 5/3/19 6:56 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We're investigating the migration of our LMS (Library Managment System)
>> >from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6. The used database in field have
>>> around 400 columns, some of them are also containing BLOB (bytea) data.
>>> The DB size vary upto 20 GByte. The interfaces contain any kind of
>>> language one could imagine :-) ESQL/C, JDBC, Perl DBD, ...
>>>
>>> Re/ the migration of the data itself, are there any use case studies
>>> which could we keep in mind? We plan to export the tables with our own
>>> tool which produces CSV with delimiter '|' (and \| if the char | is in
>>> char columns too) and with hex representation of the BLOB data. This seems
>>> to fit nicely with PostgreSQL's COPY command.
>>>
>>> Any known pitfalls?
>>
>> Do you have many stored procedures, functions, etc?
>
> We have in Sybase triggers on some tables calculating the next value for
> an integer "serial" based on helper tables because Sybase does not know
> (or did not know in 11.9) about serials. But, these will be replaced by native
> "serial" on PG.
>
> Sybase also has a so called SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN in each table with a
> unique number for each row (may have gaps) and as Sybase does not know
> SCROLLED CURSOR we simulated these in our DB layer reading-in all
> SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN numbers of a hit list after SELECT and can read
> backwards in this in memory list presenting the requested row with a new
> SELECT based on the SYB_IDENTITY_COLUMN number.  This is somewhat
> clumsy but certain features in upper layers want to read backwards (and
> we came from INFORMIX-SE, later INFORMIX-ONL some 30 years ago).
>
> I was deeply impressed by the COPY command, loading ~35000 rows in the
> time one needs to close and open the eyes. As well a SELECT returns in
> a table with ~35000 without any INDEX in very short time. How PG does this?

In the COPY case the entire thing is done in a single transaction. The
downside to this is that a single error in the data will roll back
everything.

As to SELECT you are seeing the query planner at work. See the sections
below for more info:

14.1
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/using-explain.html

14.2
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/planner-stats.html

Indexes are still important.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 5/3/19 4:56 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're investigating the migration of our LMS (Library Managment System)
> from Sybase ASE 15.7 to PostgreSQL 10.6. The used database in field have
> around 400 columns, some of them are also containing BLOB (bytea) data.
> The DB size vary upto 20 GByte. The interfaces contain any kind of
> language one could imagine :-) ESQL/C, JDBC, Perl DBD, ...
>
> Re/ the migration of the data itself, are there any use case studies
> which could we keep in mind? We plan to export the tables with our own
> tool which produces CSV with delimiter '|' (and \| if the char | is in
> char columns too) and with hex representation of the BLOB data. This seems
> to fit nicely with PostgreSQL's COPY command.

You might want to also take a look at:

A PostgreSQL foreign data wrapper to connect to TDS databases (Sybase
and Microsoft SQL Server)
https://github.com/tds-fdw/tds_fdw

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

If you could use foreign data wrapper to connect https://github.com/tds-fdw/tds_fdw then you can skip the migration back and for to CSV.

You could even do partial migrations if needed (it could impact some queries' speed though).

Pablo

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com