Re: Update row attribute that is part of row level security policyusing_expression - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Update row attribute that is part of row level security policyusing_expression
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/3/19 4:47 AM, Saupe Stefan wrote:
> I'd like to use RLS to 'hide' or 'deactivate' data at some point that
> some rows are not visible to the application user anymore.
>
> Let's say user a owns the data and can see all his data.
>
> The application user 'b' can only select,update,delete... 'active' data,
> but is also able to 'deactivate' currently 'active' rows.
>
> Below is how I tried to accomplish this.
>
> But I'm not able to 'deactivate' rows in the table as application user b.
>
> How can i accomplish this? If possible without having to change the
> application sql’s that run against the table(s)?
>
> create user a with password 'a';
>
> create user b with password 'b';
>
> \c postgres a;
>
> create table t1(id int,active boolean);
>
> insert into t1 values(1,true);
>
> insert into t1 values(2,false);
>
> create policy mypolicy on t1 for all to b using (active);
>
> alter table t1 enable row level security;
>
> grant all on t1 to b;
>
> select * from t1;
>
> id | active
>
> ----+--------
>
>    1 | t
>
>    2 | f
>
> (2 rows)
>
> --> OK
>
> --Now connect as the application user b
>
> \c postgres b;
>
> select * from t1;
>
> id | active
>
> ----+--------
>
>    1 | t
>
> (1 row)
>
> --> OK
>
> --now I want to 'deactivate' the active row
>
> update t1 set active=false where id=1;
>
> ERROR:  new row violates row-level security policy for table "t1"
>
> --> I want to be able to do this.
>
> My question is:
>
> How can user b read just ‘active’ data AND be able to ‘deactivate’ some
> active rows?

The primary issue here is you are using a security policy to try to
enforce something that is not security related, the visibility of data.
If a user was locked out of data for security reasons, but had the
ability to unlock that data on their own it would not be much of a
security policy. I see two choices:

1) Don't use RLS for this. Just allow the user to toggle active as
needed. Not sure where the user is viewing the data, but active/inactive
could be part of the code that allows data through.

2) If you want to use RLS then create a SECURITY DEFINER function that
runs as the user that does have non-RLS restricted access to the table.
Have user b use that to change the active status.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com