temp tables not dropping at end of script - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Davenport, Julie
Subject temp tables not dropping at end of script
Date
Re: temp tables not dropping at end of script
Re: temp tables not dropping at end of script
Re: temp tables not dropping at end of script
List pgsql-general

Since we upgraded from postgres 8.0 to 8.4, every script where we have queries that use temp tables now has to have an explicit drop of the temp table at the end of the script, or it will blow up the next time it runs, saying it cannot create the temp table because it already exists (these are coldfusion 8 scripts running queries on postgres 8.4 database).  When we get the error, if we try to drop the table at the command line, it says the table does not exist, yet we cannot rerun the script unless we stop and restart the database.  This never happened with pg 8.0, so the definition of “when a session ends” seems to have changed (isn’t a temp table supposed to automatically disappear at the end of the session)?  Is there some easier or better way to clear these temporary areas?

Thanks,

Julie

julie.davenport@ctcd.edu