Precision of data types and functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brandon Aiken
Subject Precision of data types and functions
Date
Re: Precision of data types and functions  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
List pgsql-general
I'm considering migrating our MySQL 4.1 database (barf!) to PostgreSQL 8
or MySQL 5.

The guy who originally designed the system made all the number data
FLOATs, even for currency items.  Unsurprisingly, we've noticed math
errors resulting from some of the aggregate functions.  I've learned
MySQL 5 stores numbers with the DECIMAL data type as text strings, and
does math at 64-bit precision.  Where can I find information about how
precise PostgreSQL 8 math is?

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer