Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!
Date
In response to Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!  ("Stephen Brearley" <mail@stephenbrearley.name>)
List pgsql-general
On Aug 1, 2013, at 11:27, Stephen Brearley <mail@stephenbrearley.name> wrote:

> Hi Alban
>
> Think we are making progress..
>
> I'll need to do some research to understand how to find the event log, but
> to answer your other points:
>
> 1) Glad to see you think the database started up correctly. I also noted
> this problem about adminpack, and spent ages trying to find out what it was
> and why it was not now installing correctly, but so far I have drawn a
> blank. It interrupted the installation with a pop-up error message, although
> it did allow me to continue. That was why I thought it was a program bug,
> and tried to report it!

That does indeed seem like an issue with the installer. I suspect the EnterpriseDB people (who create the Windows
package)are following this thread and will follow up on this, but perhaps it wouldn't hurt to contact them directly
aboutthis ;)

> 2) Yes, I did stop the Postgres before moving my data. I moved my data to
> \data_old, then did the uninstall, re-installed it, stopped the program and
> moved the data from \data_old back to \data and re-started Postgres. I also
> checked that my registry settings for Postgres were pointing to the correct
> data folder on the D: drive (which is why the install may know about it),
> which is just a separate partition on my PC. Before I had any of these
> problems, Postgres was able to successfully read and write to this location.
> I was using Navicat to create a few basic tables, and did manage to log into
> pgAdmin.

I can't see any flaw in that.

Out of curiosity, is that a separate partition on the same disk? If so, what benefit do you expect from that?
If you were talking about a separate disk (one that doesn't contain the Windows page-file, for example) then it makes
senseto do so, but on the same disk I don't really see the benefit… Easier with backups, perhaps?

> 3) The log file I have attached is from the last re-install. Every time I
> have uninstalled and re-installed since my first successful attempt has
> produced the same (unsuccessful) result, so I think any of these logs will
> show the same issues.

Probably, yes.

> 4) The Postgres help files seem to suggest that during an uninstall, the
> /data folder will not be deleted, which seems quite sensible, as you say!
> Only thing is, the system requires it to be empty during an install, as folk
> are expected to either install Postgres for the first time, or perform an
> upgrade which uses a different 9.x folder, and not have to reinstall the
> same version. This is why I have to shift my data out of the way to
> /data_old and shift it back. Assuming I can do this without using
> dump/restore (another question).

Yes, with the same major version of the database (PG 9.2 in your case), you can.
I think the issue at hand here is that the installer doesn't know whether any pre-existing data is for the same major
versionor not and therefore cannot assume it is safe to keep it around.

Having to re-install the same version is a bit uncommon, I suppose, but you'd probably run into the same issue if you
wereto perform a minor version upgrade (say 9.2.4 to 9.2.5)?

> 5) I typed netstat -an, and found port 5432 was shown as:
>  Local Address: [::]:5432, Foreign Address: [::]:0, State: LISTENING
>
> I don't think I chose this port, I think the install defaulted to it. I
> don't know if this is the right one I should choose. According to Wikipedia,
> this is the default port for Postgres on TCP/UDP, although my system does
> not seem to be listening on UDP, but I think just listening on TCP is
> probably fine.

Yes, that's the default port and it shows that the database is indeed running and listening. So far so good!

> 6) This question about connecting -I think- could be what the problem is. To
> connect, I start pgAdmin and double-click on Server
> groups|Servers|myLocalHost (localhost:5432) which has a red 'X' on it
> (doesn't look good) to which I get a popup 'Error connecting to the server:
> FATAL: password authentication failed for user "SDB"'. You mention the
> pg_hba.conf file -but since I am asked to enter a new password during
> installation, this is reset every time I try to do a reinstall? I am
> thinking that this is not occurring, and I have entered to many wrong
> passwords. For security, it would make sense that you can't reset it just by
> performing a reinstall. Could you elaborate on how to get back in if I have
> locked myself out please, as I think this could..be it?

Well, pg_hba.conf (which location is mentioned by Raymond further down this thread) doesn't contain your passwords but
isthe configuration file to specify what authentication methods (if any) are required to connect from what hosts.
Apparently that file says to use password authentication for the host you're connecting from. If you're on the same
machineas the database is (I suspect you are), that would be "localhost".

That's another file that the installer does not touch if it exists, for similar reasons as why it doesn't touch your
data;the contents of that file can be quite elaborate in larger installations.

Another thing that I wonder about; can you connect to the database using the standard "postgres" (without quotes) user?
That'sthe default admin user. It wouldn't surprise me if there's simply no database account for user "SDB"!

If you can connect using the postgres user, you can then also create a database account for your SDB user.

P.S. In this mailing list it is not customary to top-post. You're on a Micrososft OS, possibly using the abomination of
amail client called Outlook, so you can possibly not help it, but if you can, please reply in context so that we don't
haveto reverse-read your messages.

Alban Hertroys