Re: [GENERAL] postgres FDW cost estimation options unrecognized in 9.3-beta1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From BladeOfLight16
Subject Re: [GENERAL] postgres FDW cost estimation options unrecognized in 9.3-beta1
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
<snip>

I think we could do with both more documentation, and better error
messages for these cases.  In the SET-where-you-should-use-ADD case,
perhaps

ERROR:  option "use_remote_estimate" has not been set
HINT: Use ADD not SET to define an option that wasn't already set.

In the ADD-where-you-should-use-SET case, perhaps

ERROR:  option "use_remote_estimate" is already set
HINT: Use SET not ADD to change an option's value.

<snip>

Thoughts, better wordings?

Since SET is more or less a keyword in this context and there's already not some obvious things about it, it might be better to avoid using it with a slightly different meaning in the error messages. Maybe "defined" would be clearer? That would be consistent with your usage of "define" in the first error message as well.

ERROR:  option "use_remote_estimate" has not been defined
HINT: Use ADD not SET to define an option that wasn't already defined.

ERROR:  option "use_remote_estimate" is already defined
HINT: Use SET not ADD to change an option's value.

Just a thought.