Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Brearley
Subject Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!
Date
Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!!  (Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi Alban

Think we are making progress..

I'll need to do some research to understand how to find the event log, but
to answer your other points:

1) Glad to see you think the database started up correctly. I also noted
this problem about adminpack, and spent ages trying to find out what it was
and why it was not now installing correctly, but so far I have drawn a
blank. It interrupted the installation with a pop-up error message, although
it did allow me to continue. That was why I thought it was a program bug,
and tried to report it!
2) Yes, I did stop the Postgres before moving my data. I moved my data to
\data_old, then did the uninstall, re-installed it, stopped the program and
moved the data from \data_old back to \data and re-started Postgres. I also
checked that my registry settings for Postgres were pointing to the correct
data folder on the D: drive (which is why the install may know about it),
which is just a separate partition on my PC. Before I had any of these
problems, Postgres was able to successfully read and write to this location.
I was using Navicat to create a few basic tables, and did manage to log into
pgAdmin.
3) The log file I have attached is from the last re-install. Every time I
have uninstalled and re-installed since my first successful attempt has
produced the same (unsuccessful) result, so I think any of these logs will
show the same issues.
4) The Postgres help files seem to suggest that during an uninstall, the
/data folder will not be deleted, which seems quite sensible, as you say!
Only thing is, the system requires it to be empty during an install, as folk
are expected to either install Postgres for the first time, or perform an
upgrade which uses a different 9.x folder, and not have to reinstall the
same version. This is why I have to shift my data out of the way to
/data_old and shift it back. Assuming I can do this without using
dump/restore (another question).
5) I typed netstat -an, and found port 5432 was shown as:
  Local Address: [::]:5432, Foreign Address: [::]:0, State: LISTENING

I don't think I chose this port, I think the install defaulted to it. I
don't know if this is the right one I should choose. According to Wikipedia,
this is the default port for Postgres on TCP/UDP, although my system does
not seem to be listening on UDP, but I think just listening on TCP is
probably fine.
6) This question about connecting -I think- could be what the problem is. To
connect, I start pgAdmin and double-click on Server
groups|Servers|myLocalHost (localhost:5432) which has a red 'X' on it
(doesn't look good) to which I get a popup 'Error connecting to the server:
FATAL: password authentication failed for user "SDB"'. You mention the
pg_hba.conf file -but since I am asked to enter a new password during
installation, this is reset every time I try to do a reinstall? I am
thinking that this is not occurring, and I have entered to many wrong
passwords. For security, it would make sense that you can't reset it just by
performing a reinstall. Could you elaborate on how to get back in if I have
locked myself out please, as I think this could..be it?

Many thanks again
  Stephen