Re: help getting a backtrace from 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Curvey
Subject Re: help getting a backtrace from 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04?
Date
Re: help getting a backtrace from 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04?  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

From: Jeff Janes [mailto:jeff.janes@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:26 PM
To: Chris Curvey
Cc: Marcin Mańk; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] help getting a backtrace from 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:57 AM, Chris Curvey <ccurvey@zuckergoldberg.com> wrote:
> From: Marcin Mańk [mailto:marcin.mank@gmail.com]
>

> > Is it crashing on a specific database object? pg_restore -v will tell you
> > how far it went. Then try to restore only that object. Is it perhaps
> > crashing on a specific row?
> >

> Good advice.  I turned on –verbose, and got a ton of output, ending with:
>

> pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for FK CONSTRAINT
> user_id_refs_id_7ceef80f
>
> pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for FK CONSTRAINT
> user_id_refs_id_dfbab7d
>
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: no connection to the
> server
>
>     Command was: -- Completed on 2013-09-09 11:35:16 EDT

What does the server log say?  It should tell you why the server is restarting.

Cheers,

Jeff

Great thought.  Looking through the logs, it appears that all my failures are on a CREATE INDEX.  Usually on my biggest table, but often on another table.

2013-09-10 10:09:46 EDT ERROR:  canceling autovacuum task

2013-09-10 10:09:46 EDT CONTEXT:  automatic analyze of table "certified_mail_ccc2.public.cm_status_history"

2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT LOG:  server process (PID 14386) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault

2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT DETAIL:  Failed process was running: CREATE INDEX cm_envelope_tracking_number ON cm_envelope USING btree (tracking_number);

2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process

2013-09-10 10:15:13 EDT DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

I cannot square this with the fact that when I echo the commands, the last echoed command is about setting privileges.

Another development (possibly unrelated):  I tried *dumping* with –no-privileges –no-tablespace –no-owner, and the restore went fine.

Disclaimer

THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION. The information contained in this e-mail is attorney-client privileged and confidential, intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are here by notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail or by telephone (908) 233-8500.Thank you..