Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Karppinen
Subject Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default
Date
Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default  (Philip Yarra <philip@utiba.com>)
Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default  ("Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Right, and 7.5 will ship with tcp and localhost enabled.

If the default will be to listen on all interfaces, not just 127.0.0.1,
then this IS a security risk. And if that's not the plan, what good does
this change do? Any "real" use of tcp would still require a
configuration
change anyway.

Listening on public network interfaces by default would multiply by
orders of magnitude the number of machines vulnerable to potential
future remote exploits.

I gather that the pre-authentication code paths are pretty well known,
and that the chances of such an attack are slim. Nevertheless I cannot
help but note that it is exactly this default setting that caused
Microsoft SQL Server to lose a big, big chunk of its reputation, and
gain notoriety as a launchpad for Windows worms.

mk