Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Philip Yarra
Subject Re: enabling tcpip_socket by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 17 May 2004 05:29 pm, Marko Karppinen wrote:
> If the default will be to listen on all interfaces, not just 127.0.0.1,
> then this IS a security risk. And if that's not the plan, what good does
> this change do? Any "real" use of tcp would still require a
> configuration
> change anyway.

From what I have read today, localhost is the only one planned to be "on" by
default.

Listening on a TCP/IP socket on localhost will allow JDBC connections to work
out of the box (this exact problem tripped me up, and I'm sure this is the
case for other users).

I suspect other cross-platform APIs (PHP for example) need TCP/IP sockets to
connect too.

Regards, Philip.