Re: Rough draft for Unicode-aware UPPER()/LOWER()/INITCAP() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Karppinen
Subject Re: Rough draft for Unicode-aware UPPER()/LOWER()/INITCAP()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> initdb could even emit a warning if the --encoding option was
>> used without also specifying --no-locale.
>
> Please don't do that. Most Asian chasets does not work with locale
> enabled PostgreSQL installation. i.e. it returns WRONG SELECT
> results. I've been telling this to Japanese users for hundreds of
> times when they ask me why SELECT returns results. If that kind of
> wanings are installed, I think more Japanese users will be confused.

You've advocated a default of --no-locale yourself for this reason.
If using a Japanese --encoding setting without --no-locale emitted
a warning suggesting the use of --no-locale, I'd imagine you wouldn't
have had to give human support to most of those hundreds of people?

Wouldn't that be a halfway point to your goal?

mk