Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel
Date
List pgsql-odbc

So to make it work, you do " SET client_encoding TO 'LATIN10' " ?

> The same command after connect to the LATIN10 db on pgadmin;
> SHOW CLIENT_ENCODING;
> return -> UNICODE

In pgAdmin it will always be unicode, because pgAdmin explicitly sets it
to unicode unless the database is SQL_ASCII. Thats because pgAdmin and
wxWidgets (the framework it's built with) are fully Unicode aware and
can therefore just let the server handle the conversion.

> Try create a LATIN10 db and connect to it to return client encoding.

The default in MSQUERY is UTF8 (which is UNICODE)

> * About MsQuery I was speaking about visual querys design time, not to
> return millons of records.
> It works fine with other db, because it find the fields to make the
> relationship between tables, right now I'm migrating an app from mysql
> to postgres, the same querys, same data on msquery with mysql (myodbc)
> works fine; with psqlodbc hangup trying to relate tables (on visual
> design, without return a single record), If I type the query it works,
> but don't expect final users write a sql sentence =)

Sounds odd - I can design queries here with no difficulties. You haven't
got SQL Tracing or the Mylog switched on have you?

> * What about the 2 chars used to store strange chars?

Thats likely just multibyte characters being shown as single byte.

Regards, Dave