Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Alejandro D. Burne
Subject Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel
Date
List pgsql-odbc
2005/8/4, Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>:

> > Dave, thanks 4 your time;
> > * I've installed MDAC 2.8 with same results.
> >
> > * If I don't set locale on the client it doesn't work, pgadmin either
> > (show wrong encoding data)
> >
> > After connect trough odbc:
> > SHOW CLIENT_ENCODING;
> > return -> UTF8
>
> So to make it work, you do " SET client_encoding TO 'LATIN10' " ?

Yes, I choose LATIN10 after odbc connect and things go ok, I'm using
visualfoxpro.

> > The same command after connect to the LATIN10 db on pgadmin;
> > SHOW CLIENT_ENCODING;
> > return -> UNICODE
>
> In pgAdmin it will always be unicode, because pgAdmin explicitly sets it
> to unicode unless the database is SQL_ASCII. Thats because pgAdmin and
> wxWidgets (the framework it's built with) are fully Unicode aware and
> can therefore just let the server handle the conversion.
>
> > Try create a LATIN10 db and connect to it to return client encoding.
>
> The default in MSQUERY is UTF8 (which is UNICODE)
>
> > * About MsQuery I was speaking about visual querys design time, not to
> > return millons of records.
> > It works fine with other db, because it find the fields to make the
> > relationship between tables, right now I'm migrating an app from mysql
> > to postgres, the same querys, same data on msquery with mysql (myodbc)
> > works fine; with psqlodbc hangup trying to relate tables (on visual
> > design, without return a single record), If I type the query it works,
> > but don't expect final users write a sql sentence =)
>
> Sounds odd - I can design queries here with no difficulties. You haven't
> got SQL Tracing or the Mylog switched on have you?

No, I've not using any odbc log check. I'm using Excel - Data - Obtain
remote data - New query (translated, I've got it in spanish) which
uses an asistant to obtain data. When I try to include more than one
table appear a message box telling something like "the asistant can't
relate the tables, you must make it manually", after that appear
MsQuery to do it, but make a full join on both tables. If the tables
have 50-100 records there is no problem (100*50=5000 record) but with
large tables just collapse. I fix it making views and selecting the
fields just I need with a specific filter.

> > * What about the 2 chars used to store strange chars?
>
> Thats likely just multibyte characters being shown as single byte.
>
> Regards, Dave

Gracias, Alejandro.