Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website. - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.
Date
Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.  (Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim@gunduz.org>)
List pgsql-www

Personally I quite like PostgreSQL Developer Network, but that one is
definitely for discussion.

> Could you also provide information about the database version that is
> preferred (hopefully 8.++) and the PHP modules that is
> available at this
> moment. I would like to make my development environment same
> as the current
> configurations of postgres.org. For php, a <? phpinfo(); ?>
> should be more
> than enough.

The box I'm thinking of doesn't have PostgreSQL or PHP installed atm -
well, there is a default PHP, but it should be upgraded - currently it
is:

dpage@postgres:~> php -v
PHP 4.3.8 (cli) (built: Oct  6 2004 13:04:29)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
dpage@postgres:~> php -m
[PHP Modules]
openssl
overload
pcre
posix
standard
tokenizer
xml

[Zend Modules]

It's not currently used however, so can be changed as required. My main
concern is that there aren't heaps of dependencies, so building
replacement machines is easy if required.

> > From our point of view, we will also be interested in
> maintenance of the
> > site - how do we add/remove/edit HTML docs, how do we
> add/remove other
> > docs (PDFs etc) and that sort of thing.
>
> This is an important point of attention. If we want to put
> the content
> "outside" the database then we would have to index the
> content somehow for
> searching. To that, if the content is decided to be saved "inside" the
> database then we have to discuss the how the resources used
> in the content
> would we accessed.
>
> For example: Let's say we have some html content saved inside
> the database,
> and this page has a coupe of images. Where would these images
> be saved? And
> how would these be accessed again?

In the main site (and the CMS I'm writing ATM at work), files as you
describe are stored outside the database under /files or a similar
static location. As for indexing for searching, I would suggest not
worrying about it - the existing search engine
(http://search.postgresql.org) will cover that with suitable templates.

Regards, Dave.