Barcelona vs Tigerton - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mindaugas
Subject Barcelona vs Tigerton
Date
Re: Barcelona vs Tigerton  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
Re: Barcelona vs Tigerton  (Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com>)
Re: Barcelona vs Tigerton  (Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org>)
List pgsql-performance
Hello,

  Now that both 4x4 out it's time for us to decide which one should be better for our PostgreSQL and Oracle. And
especiallyfor Oracle we really need such server to squeeze everything from Oracle licenses. Both of the databases
handleOLTP type of the load.
  Since we plan to buy 4U HP DL580 or 585 and only very few of them so power ratings are not very critical in this our
case.

  First benchmarks (http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3091) show that Intel still has more raw CPU power but
Barcelonascales much better and also has better memory bandwidth which I believe is quite critical with 16 cores and DB
usagepattern.
  On the other hand Intel's X7350 (2.93GHz) has almost 50% advantage in CPU frequency against 2GHz Barcelona.

  Regards,

  Mindaugas

  P.S. tweakers.net does not have both of those yet? Test results far away? :)