Re: Barcelona vs Tigerton - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Guy Rouillier
Subject Re: Barcelona vs Tigerton
Date
List pgsql-performance
Mindaugas wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>   Now that both 4x4 out it's time for us to decide which one should be better for our PostgreSQL and Oracle. And
especiallyfor Oracle we really need such server to squeeze everything from Oracle licenses. Both of the databases
handleOLTP type of the load.
>   Since we plan to buy 4U HP DL580 or 585 and only very few of them so power ratings are not very critical in this
ourcase.

>   First benchmarks (http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3091) show that Intel still has more raw CPU power but
Barcelonascales much better and also has better memory bandwidth which I believe is quite critical with 16 cores and DB
usagepattern.
>   On the other hand Intel's X7350 (2.93GHz) has almost 50% advantage in CPU frequency against 2GHz Barcelona.

Barcelona was just announced yesterday.  I wouldn't want to be betting
my business on it just yet. Plus, AMD usually is able to up the clock on
their chips pretty well after they've got a few production runs under
their belts.  If you've absolutely got to have something today, I'd say
Intel would be a safer bet.  If you can afford to wait 3-4 months, then
you'll benefit from some industry experience as well as production
maturity with Barcelona, and can judge then which better fits your needs.

--
Guy Rouillier