Re: [SQL] using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD
Subject Re: [SQL] using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints)
Date
In response to Re: [SQL] using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints)  ("Andrew Hammond" <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I've seen a few EAV designs in practice. They've all been
> problematic. I'd like to have a better way of dealing with
> them. Which is why I'm tentatively suggesting support for
> inheritance and constraints in views. If there's some other
> way to achieve constraint based exclusion across a UNION of
> heterogenous tables, I'd love to hear it.

If you do your own rules anyway, why can't you use inheritance and
create the rules
on the parent table and the constraints on the child tables ?

You can still use the child tables directly if you want.

Andreas