Re: [SQL] using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Hammond
Subject Re: [SQL] using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints)
Date
In response to using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints)  ("Andrew Hammond" <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com>)
Re: [SQL] using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints)  ("Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 7/18/06, Aaron Bono <postgresql@aranya.com> wrote:
On 18 Jul 2006 09:07:08 -0700, Andrew Hammond < andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a client with the following EAV inspired schema.

CREATE TABLE many_tables (
    table_id text primary key,        -- defines which virtual table is
encoded
    attribute1 text,
    attribute2 text,
    attribute3 text,
    attribute4 text,
);

I'd like to use a mix of constraint based paritioning, rules
_and_views_ to implement a real schema underneath this mess, like the
following.

CREATE TABLE cat (
     cat_id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
     cat_name TEXT NOT NULL,
     aloofness NUMERIC(1,3) DEFAULT 1.0 CHECK (0.0 <= aloofness AND
aloofness <= 1.0)
);

CREATE RULE many_tables_cat_insert AS
ON INSERT TO many_tables WHERE table_id = 'cat' DO INSTEAD
INSERT INTO cat (cat_id, cat_name, aloofness) VALUES (
     CAST(attribute1 AS integer),
     attribute2,
     CAST(attribute3 AS numeric(1,3))
     -- gleefully ignore the other attributes
);

-- etc for UPDATE, and DELETE rules

-- This part doesn't work
CREATE VIEW many_tables_a (CHECK (table_id = 'cat')) INHERITS
(many_tables) AS
SELECT 'cat' AS table_id,
    CAST(cat_id AS text) AS attribute1,
    cat_name AS attribute2,
    CAST(aloofness AS text) AS attribute3,
    null AS attribute4, ...
FROM cat;

So, I guess I'm stuck doing the UNION ALL approach in this instance.
This won't get me the partitioning win, nor the flexibility and
cleanliness of design that I'd get with inheritance.

As far as I can see, supporting the above would it mean adding
inheritance and constraint support to views. Does anyone have a better
approach?

If you don't mind having redundant data, you could change the ON INSERT trigger to copy the data into cat, add an ON UPDATE trigger (you should do this anyway) and revoke direct insert/update to cat.  Then you don't need many_tables_a or a UNION.

There's already a performance problem, I suspect that would just exacerbate it. Since I want to encourage developers to use the relational tables instead of the many_tables table, refusing DML wouldn't be a good idea.

Of course I don't know if this achieves your intended result or not.  What is your business requirement for this?

The current virtual table design has performance (as well as maitenance) issues. Performance tuning is problematic. A major re-design of the application is not something that can be done until the next major release. However, if I can slide a proper relational schema underneath this hodge-podge table while retaining compatability for legacy apps then it becomes possible to fix parts of the application to use the relational tables incrementally on an as-needed basis.

If I could get constraint based exclusioning to work with the partitioning, then I would be able to realize performance improvements immediately (which is always good for a consultant). Unfortunately I don't see any way to do this. Inheritance seems to fit backwards from what I'm actually trying to do.

I've seen a few EAV designs in practice. They've all been problematic. I'd like to have a better way of dealing with them. Which is why I'm tentatively suggesting support for inheritance and constraints in views. If there's some other way to achieve constraint based exclusion across a UNION of heterogenous tables, I'd love to hear it.

Drew