Re: [SQL] using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zeugswetter Andreas DCP SD
Subject Re: [SQL] using constraint based paritioning to fix EAV type schemas? (view inheritance and constraints)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I've seen a few EAV designs in practice. They've all been
problematic.
> > I'd like to have a better way of dealing with them. Which is why I'm

> > tentatively suggesting support for inheritance and constraints in
> > views. If there's some other way to achieve constraint based
exclusion
> > across a UNION of heterogenous tables, I'd love to hear it.
>
> If you do your own rules anyway, why can't you use
> inheritance and create the rules on the parent table and the
> constraints on the child tables ?

Ah, sorry, just saw that you want different column names in your
subtables.

Add me as another vote to extend the new constraint elimination to union
all views :-)

Andreas