Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
Re: Two weeks to feature freeze  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-hackers

If you mean the one that comes with PostgreSQL, then I think the MySQL
test is better.  The PostgreSQL test seems to focus more on extensions
than anything else.
> > If there is no procedure for PostgreSQL of this nature, then there
> > really needs to be.  I am sure that MySQL must have
> something in place
> > like that.  Their "Crash-Me" test suite shows (at least) that they
> > have put a large effort into testing.
>
> No, it means they've put a crap effort into trying to make
> other databases look bad...

It does not achieve that goal.

Most of the criticism leveled at their efforts sound like fearful hand
waving to me.  True, I have not studied the test as carefully as others
have.  But the PostgreSQL test is not superior to the MySQL test.  I
have put considerable effort into the PostgreSQL regression test.  We
achieved 100% success on the Win32 platform, including dynamic loading
of functions.