Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
Re: Two weeks to feature freeze  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Two weeks to feature freeze  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@dcc.uchile.cl>)
List pgsql-hackers

It does get silly at a point, but I have seen systems with 128
characters for table names, column names, etc.  Some people seem to like
it.  Not me.  Too much typing.

> Other things tested are clearly wrong (things that are =
> NULL,

Sounds like testing for the existence of a bug.
X = NULL
X <= NULL
X >= NULL
Etc. must always test false, regardless of the contents of X.  Test for
equality with NULL is a conformance error if NULL == NULL returns true.

> dates like '00-00-0000');

Not sure what that might even mean.

> results for Postgres that are
> wrong probably because they are trying a weird syntax. Etc.
>
> Things like that drive the credibility of the whole thing to
> the floor. Maybe something like this should exist for
> Postgres, but it's not crash-me.  Maybe the NIST compliance
> test is adequate.

So far, I have seen three problems pointed out (out of 600+ tests).
That's 0.5% defects.  Why not just drop the stupid tests, or bend them
to test for what they ought to be testing.

Besides those three, what other tests are bogus and why?