Re: Any commercial shopping cart packages using postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dann Corbit
Subject Re: Any commercial shopping cart packages using postgresql?
Date
Re: Any commercial shopping cart packages using postgresql?  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-general

The no foreign keys thing means RI is out the window, of course.  A sea
of tables, floating in a soupy database fog of danger.

But as for the DEFAULT '' NOT NULL entries, CODD and Date eventually
decided that NULL data was a big mistake.
While SQL programmers are used to it, most end users with slim SQL
familiarity will be pretty shocked when:

    SELECT COUNT(*) FROM addresses WHERE <column> = 'some_constant'

Added with

    SELECT COUNT(*) FROM addresses WHERE NOT <column> =
'some_constant'

Is not equal to

     SELECT COUNT(*) FROM addresses

I tend to agree that every column should have a default and not be
allowed to become NULL.  Just to keep end-user astonishment at a
minimum.