Re: Any commercial shopping cart packages using postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Satrapa
Subject Re: Any commercial shopping cart packages using postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dann Corbit wrote:
> But as for the DEFAULT '' NOT NULL entries, CODD and Date eventually
> decided that NULL data was a big mistake.
> While SQL programmers are used to it, most end users with slim SQL
> familiarity will be pretty shocked when:

And so, too, will man people with little or no understanding of internal
combustion engines get surprised when their diesel engine explodes after
putting high-octane unleaded fuel into it...

> I tend to agree that every column should have a default and not be
> allowed to become NULL.  Just to keep end-user astonishment at a
> minimum.

The idea of NOT NULL is to make sure that *valid* stuff is put in. Most
of these columns are set to absolutely meaningless defaults, ensuring
that your database not only lacks referential integrity, but contains
nothing of value either!

If I had enough hair left, I'd be pulling it out right about now ;)

Alex