ORDER BY: lexicographic ordering of names - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bryan Herger
Subject ORDER BY: lexicographic ordering of names
Date
Re: ORDER BY: lexicographic ordering of names  (Edoardo Panfili <edoardo@aspix.it>)
List pgsql-general

All,

I am porting a database from MS SQL Server to Postgres.  One of the tables contains a list of names, which I would like to list alphabetically.  I noticed in the “O” names the following difference:

MSSQL:

O’Daniel

O’Neill

Oliveira

Oliver

While PGSQL sorts as if the apostrophe was not there:

O’Daniel

Oliveira

Oliver

O’Neill

I think the MSSQL output is more correct for listing names alphabetically.  How can I configure or query PGSQL to get the same sort order?

Thanks,

Bryan