Re: ORDER BY: lexicographic ordering of names - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edoardo Panfili
Subject Re: ORDER BY: lexicographic ordering of names
Date
List pgsql-general
Il 18-03-2009 21:32, Bryan Herger ha scritto:
> All,
>
> I am porting a database from MS SQL Server to Postgres. One of the
> tables contains a list of names, which I would like to list
> alphabetically. I noticed in the “O” names the following difference:
>
> MSSQL:
> O’Daniel
> O’Neill
> Oliveira
> Oliver
>
> While PGSQL sorts as if the apostrophe was not there:
> O’Daniel
> Oliveira
> Oliver
> O’Neill
>
> I think the MSSQL output is more correct for listing names
> alphabetically. How can I configure or query PGSQL to get the same sort
> order?
Some time ago I had a problem with string sorting related to my locale
(but with "*" instead of "'"), now all works adding
"ORDER BY column USING ~<~".

I did I try with your data but I obtain the same sorting of MSSQL both
in my locale and using ~<~.

Edoardo