RES: Trouble with regexp_matches - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Edson Richter
Subject RES: Trouble with regexp_matches
Date
List pgsql-general

I see - I always believed that this page was related to WHERE clause or using functions in the PostgreSQL way (which
is,in your turn, a alternative to "from" syntax) - not for the select clause.

But now that you mention it, and re-reading all the information, I can understand the implications.

Nevertheless, would be nice to put a huge warning at the "String functions" page about this behavior...

> "It is possible to force regexp_matches() to always return one row by using a
> sub-select; this is particularly useful in a SELECT target list when you want all
> rows returned, even non-matching ones:
>
> SELECT col1, (SELECT regexp_matches(col2, '(bar)(beque)')) FROM tab; "

Thanks, this worked - as well removing the "regexp_matches" and using "SUBSTRING( text FROM pattern)".

I really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Edson Richter