Re: Trouble with regexp_matches - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Trouble with regexp_matches
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/05/2016 10:01 AM, Edson Richter wrote:
> Dear list,
>

> Version string    PostgreSQL 9.4.10 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
> compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-4), 64-bit
>

> I’m running the query below, and it is limiting results as if
> “regexp_matches” being in where clause.
>
> IMHO, it is wrong: in case there is no match, shall return null or empty
> array – not remove the result from the set!!!
>

> Is this a collateral effect of using regexp_matches in columns?
>
> If yes, shall not this information be BOLD RED FLASHING in documentation
> (or it is already, and some kind sould would point me where)?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/functions-matching.html

"It is possible to force regexp_matches() to always return one row by
using a sub-select; this is particularly useful in a SELECT target list
when you want all rows returned, even non-matching ones:

SELECT col1, (SELECT regexp_matches(col2, '(bar)(beque)')) FROM tab;
"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com