Re: Improving spin-lock implementation on ARM. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: Improving spin-lock implementation on ARM.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 9:08 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Krunal Bauskar <krunalbauskar@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 at 10:14, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> The results I posted at [1] seem to contradict this for Apple's new
> >> machines.
>
> > For the results you saw on Mac-Mini was LSE enabled by default.
>
> Hmm, I don't know how to get Apple's clang to admit what its default
> settings are ... anybody?
>
> However, it does accept "-march=armv8-a+lse", and that seems to
> not be the default, because I get different results from my spinlock-
> pounding test than I did yesterday.  Abbreviating into a table:
>
>                 --- CFLAGS=-O2 ---      --- CFLAGS="-O2 -march=armv8-a+lse" ---
>
> TPS             HEAD    CAS patch       HEAD    CAS patch
>
> clients=1       2127    2174            2612    2722
> clients=2       1816    859             892     950
> clients=4       714     519             610     468
> clients=8       -       -               108     185
>
> Unfortunately, that still doesn't lead me to think that either LSE
> or CAS are net wins on this hardware.  It's quite clear that LSE
> makes the uncontended case a good bit faster, but the contended case
> is a lot worse, so is that really a tradeoff we want?

I tend to think that LSE is enabled by default in Apple's clang based
on your previous message[1].  In order to dispel the doubts could you
please provide assembly of SpinLockAcquire for following clang
options.
"-O2"
"-O2 -march=armv8-a+lse"
"-O2 -march=armv8-a"