Re: proposal: unescape_text function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: proposal: unescape_text function
Date
Re: proposal: unescape_text function  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-11-29 18:36, Pavel Stehule wrote:

>     I don't really get the point of this function.  There is AFAICT no
>     function to produce this escaped format, and it's not a recognized
>     interchange format.  So under what circumstances would one need to
>     use this?
>

> Some corporate data can be in CSV format with escaped unicode
> characters. Without this function it is not possible to decode these
> files without external application.

I would like some supporting documentation on this.  So far we only have
one stackoverflow question, and then this implementation, and they are
not even the same format.  My worry is that if there is not precise
specification, then people are going to want to add things in the
future, and there will be no way to analyze such requests in a
principled way.