Re: WIP: store additional info in GIN index - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Korotkov
Subject Re: WIP: store additional info in GIN index
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
The GIN changes don't seem to have progressed in some time, and some of
the most recent activity
(http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/50BFF89A.7080908@fuzzy.cz)
suggests unconvincing test results.

Actually, _most_ recent acitivity showing inverse
However, this patch itself is not expected to give significant changes in search speed. Testing results with both double acceleration and slowdown looks strange for me. I can't either reproduce it or explain.

Is this work considered to be a dead-end - a good idea that didn't work
out in practice? Or do you think it still has merit and can be made
useful and ready for inclusion?

This patch is only first of future serie of GIN improvements patches. It doesn't change anything significant in search, only in storage. This time we are working on design of rest of patches in order to put them on the consideration. This lead to lack of attention to this patch.

Given the activity level I would like to bounce this patch, either as
"returned with feedback" if you want to take another go at it post-9.3,
or as "rejected" if you think the idea won't go anywhere. Please let me
know how you think it looks.

"Returned with feedback", definitely.

------
With best regards,