Re: postgres_fdw: batch inserts vs. before row triggers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Etsuro Fujita
Subject Re: postgres_fdw: batch inserts vs. before row triggers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Another thing I noticed while working on the "Fast COPY FROM based on
batch insert" patch is: batch inserts vs. WITH CHECK OPTION
constraints from parent views.  Here is an example on a normal build
producing incorrect results.

CREATE TABLE base_tbl (a int, b int);
CREATE FUNCTION row_before_insert_trigfunc() RETURNS trigger AS
$$BEGIN NEW.a := NEW.a + 10; RETURN NEW; END$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
CREATE TRIGGER row_before_insert_trigger BEFORE INSERT ON base_tbl FOR
EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE row_before_insert_trigfunc();
CREATE FOREIGN TABLE foreign_tbl (a int, b int) SERVER loopback
OPTIONS (table_name 'base_tbl');
CREATE VIEW rw_view AS SELECT * FROM foreign_tbl WHERE a < b WITH CHECK OPTION;
ALTER SERVER loopback OPTIONS (ADD batch_size '10');

EXPLAIN VERBOSE INSERT INTO rw_view VALUES (0, 15), (0, 5);
                                   QUERY PLAN
 Insert on public.foreign_tbl  (cost=0.00..0.03 rows=0 width=0)
   Remote SQL: INSERT INTO public.base_tbl(a, b) VALUES ($1, $2) RETURNING a, b
   Batch Size: 10
   ->  Values Scan on "*VALUES*"  (cost=0.00..0.03 rows=2 width=8)
         Output: "*VALUES*".column1, "*VALUES*".column2
(5 rows)

INSERT INTO rw_view VALUES (0, 15), (0, 5);
INSERT 0 2

This isn't correct; the INSERT query should abort because the
second-inserted row violates the WCO constraint as it is changed to
(10, 5) by the BEFORE ROW trigger.

Also, the query caused an assertion failure on an assert-enabled build, like:

TRAP: FailedAssertion("*numSlots == 1", File: "postgres_fdw.c", Line:
4164, PID: 7775)

I think the root cause for these is that WCO constraints are enforced
locally, but in batch-insert mode postgres_fdw cannot currently
retrieve the data needed to enforce such constraints locally that was
actually inserted on the remote side (except for the first-inserted
row).  And I think this leads to the incorrect results on the normal
build as the WCO constraint is enforced with the data passed from the
core for the second-inserted row, and leads to the assertion failure
on the assert-enabled build.

To fix, I modified postgresGetForeignModifyBatchSize() to disable
batch insert when there are any such constraints, like when there are
any AFTER ROW triggers on the foreign table.  Attached is a patch for
that.

If there are no objections, I'll commit the patch.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita

Attachment