Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ildar Musin
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Ildus,

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:52 PM Ildus Kurbangaliev <i.kurbangaliev@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
in my opinion this patch is usually skipped not because it is not
needed, but because of its size. It is not hard to maintain it until
commiters will have time for it or I will get actual response that
nobody is going to commit it.

Attached latest set of patches.

As I understand, the only thing changed since my last review is an additional
compression method for zlib.

The code looks good. I have one suggestion though. Currently you only predefine
two compression levels: `best_speed` and `best_compression`. But zlib itself
allows a fine gradation between those two. It is possible to set level to the
values from 0 to 9 (where zero means no compression at all which I guess isn't
useful in our case). So I think we should allow user choose between either
textual representation (as you already did) or numeral. Another thing is that one
can specify, for instance, `best_speed` level, but not `BEST_SPEED`, which can
be a bit frustrating for user.

Regards,
Ildar Musin