Re: Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Zagrabelny
Subject Re: Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 12:56 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 16:41 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> There's no doubt it's useful, and it's also part of the SQL spec,
> which says you can do catalog.schema.table.  I would guess that we
> might get that as a byproduct of any project to make PostgreSQL
> multithreaded.  That mountain moving operation will require us to get
> rid of all the global state that currently ties a whole process to one
> session and one database, and replace it with heap objects with names
> like Session and Database that can be passed around between worker
> threads.

I am -1 on cross-database queries.

I think it is a desirable feature to have databases isolated from
each other, so you don't have to worry about a permission you forgot
that allows somebody to access a different database.

Perhaps make it a new right that can be granted and it is disabled by default.

Superusers could have it by default.

ALTER USER foo WITH CROSSDB | NOCROSSDB

Obviously there is much more to flesh out than this.

-m