Re: Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries
Date
Re: Can we get SQL Server-like cross database queries  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 16:41 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> There's no doubt it's useful, and it's also part of the SQL spec,
> which says you can do catalog.schema.table.  I would guess that we
> might get that as a byproduct of any project to make PostgreSQL
> multithreaded.  That mountain moving operation will require us to get
> rid of all the global state that currently ties a whole process to one
> session and one database, and replace it with heap objects with names
> like Session and Database that can be passed around between worker
> threads.

I am -1 on cross-database queries.

I think it is a desirable feature to have databases isolated from
each other, so you don't have to worry about a permission you forgot
that allows somebody to access a different database.

I think this is particularly relevant since all databases share the
same users.

I understand that sometimes the opposite would be desirable, but
foreign data wrappers have alleviated that pain.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe